Hoogweg Sweet Pepper Growers' vision
Vegetable cultivation has changed dramatically in recent years. Scaling up and specialisation have led to increased professionalisation in the sector. Companies must manage all aspects of their business operations as effectively as possible: the choice of location, cultivation, energy management, packaging and sales. If a company can meet this condition it can continue to look forward to a successful future, even during dynamic times such as this one. Sustainable business operations are made possible by producing on an adequate scale and with efficient deployment of people and resources.
The mission of Hoogweg Sweet Pepper Growers
Producing high quality sweet peppers in the most efficient and sustainable way possible.
Corporate social responsibility
“Corporate Social Responsibility” means that a company is aware of the impact it has on people and the environment and tries to strike the right balance between People, Planet en Profit.
Hoogweg’s approach to CSR:
Together we make sure that we can supply our customers with a great and fresh product at all times.
We achieve this by having motivated and professional employees and offering pleasant working conditions. We aim to make sure that our employees are happy at work. We achieve this by:
• Being a good and reliable employer.
• Offering our employees good working conditions.
• Providing our employees with decent accommodation.
• Ensuring that our employees feel motivated and are happy with their job so that they feel more involved.
• Offering our employees opportunities for further professional development.
• Contributing to society by purchasing goods and services locally and sponsoring sports clubs.
We are collectively responsible for the future of our planet. Thanks to (technological) innovations we are able to reduce the consumption of energy, water and fossil fuels.
Hoogweg Paprikakwekerijen achieves sustainability through the following:
• Sustainable growing of sweet peppers.
• Reducing our impact on the environment through conscious use of raw materials and resources.
• Using geothermal energy and a Biomass installation.
• Reducing our use of fossil fuels and CO2 emissions.
• Using CHP (Combined Heat and Power) for efficient energy use.
• Using biological crop protection methods.
• Separating waste and recycling residues.
Businesses continually need to innovate to ensure successful business processes now and in the future.
The mission of Hoogweg is:
“Producing high quality sweet peppers in the most efficient and sustainable way possible”.
We achieve this by:
• Packing (small packaging) of our own sweet peppers. This reduces the lines throughout the chain and ensures that the extremely fresh products reach our customers in no time.
• Selling and marketing through the growers association Oxin Growers to leverage the flow of goods.
• Using energy and raw materials efficiently to reduce costs.
• Good employment practices result in increased productivity and less absenteeism among employees.
The Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) is a partnership initiative established in the UK consisting of companies, NGOs and trade unions.
It is the aim of ETI to improve the working conditions of people worldwide who produce consumer goods (from tea, t-shirts to flowers and footballs).
It is the vision of ETI for employees everywhere to be free of exploitation and discrimination and to be able to work under free, safe and equal conditions. This means that retailers, brands and their suppliers take responsibility for the working conditions of the people who make the products that they sell. Hoogweg is committed to this initiative by working in accordance with ETI’s ‘Base Code of Labour Practices’.
More about the ETI-code